After the success of last year’s Dark Horse Initiative, we knew we were going to do it again this year. For those of you just joining us, the DHI is our attempt to sift through all the relatively unknown debuts coming out in a year and bookmark a handful to check out and review just based on their descriptions. However, when we were building the lists this year we realized that we had A LOT of books on it – so we decided to make two. We are splitting the DHI into two lists, one for each half of the year. The following books are our picks for books coming out from January 2020 to June 2020, and we will have a second list for the back half of the year in July.
As mentioned, each of the following 12 books (in no particular order) is something that caught the eyes of one of our reviewers. We will do our best to read and review all of these, but there are only so many hours in the day so no promises we will get to all of them. Regardless, each looks like a promising new story and we are very excited to check them out! Happy 2020 everyone.
- Repo Virtual by Corey J. White
- The Unspoken Name by A. K. Larkwood
- Mazes of Power by Juliette Wade
- A Song Below Water by Bethany C Morrow
- The Vanished Birds by Simon Jimenez
- Rebelwing by Andrea Tang
- Docile by K. M. Sparza
- Beneath the Rising by Premee Mohamed
- The Loop by Ben Oliver
- The Dark Tide by Alicia Jasinska
- The Kingdom of Liars by Nick Martell
- Goddess in the Machine by Lora Beth Johnson