Hello all. As June rolls to a close, and PRIDE content starts to wind down, we compiled a list of some of our favorite representations in the science fiction and fantasy genres as a resource. All of these books and authors are fantastic on their own, but their added dedication to good representation helps them go the extra mile. As you continue to pick your books for the rest of the year, we highly recommend that you check out any of the following entries on this list. Some of these labels are a “best fit” scenario, as not every person conforms to a clean identity (and there is nothing wrong with that).
And if you’re still unsure about what this all means, or wish to educate yourself more, whether you’re an ally, a curious member of the community, or questioning, there are plenty of great resources out there to broaden your own understanding. Remember, none of the resources listed below are definitive guides but can serve as a good starting point. Learning is an ongoing process!
- Buffer has a great list of many resources for allies
- GLAAD offers a list of resources and groups that specifically advocate for LGBTQIA+ issues and equality.
- The Trevor Project has a resources page that is for everyone!
- Gideon – Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
- Ead – The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
- Winter – The Thousand Names by Django Wexler
- Sancia – Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett
- Csorwe – The Unspoken Name by A.K. Larkwood
- Sun – Unconquerable Sun by Kate Elliott
- Zan & Jayd – The Stars are Legion by Kameron Hurley
- Linus – The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune
- Rune – The Last Sun by K.D. Edwards
- Tracker – Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James
- Jainan and Kiem – Winter’s Orbit by Everina Maxwell
- Mycroft – Too Like the Lightning by Ada Palmer
- Celehar – The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison
- Zaira – The Tethered Mage by Melissa Caruso
- Mia – Nevernight by Jay Kristoff
- Rosemary – The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
- Constanta – A Dowry of Blood by S. T. Gibson
- Breq – Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
- Everyone – The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula le Guin
- Murderbot – All System Red by Martha Wells
- Kai – Full Fathom Five by Max Gladstone
- Kel Cheris – Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee
- Vannek – When The Goddess Wakes by Howard Andrew Jones
Authors – A list of our favorite authors belonging to the LGBTQ+ community